Thursday, July 5, 2007

Keeping basement dry - Gutters

As rainwater rolls off your roof and into your gutters, it's then channelled to flow toward the nearest downspout and safely away from your home.

By having clogged rain gutters due to leaves, sticks, and other debris, the rainwater simply overflows the gutter and pools at your home's foundation.

To combat this from happening, and to keep your basement dry, be sure your drainage system is working properly. Clean gutters and downspouts on an annual basis to be sure water flows through.

Check to be sure there are no cracks in your guttering which allows water to seep down the side of the house.

If you do see a problem with your gutters and downspouts, take care of it as soon as possible. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, call a gutter company to come. The rates are more than reasonable and well worth the protection from future damage.

Keeping your basement dry begins with rain gutters that are working properly. It may be all you need to keep it that way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What you wrote here is very helpful. The basement and attic are always a problem to many homeowners. Basement remodelers in Kentucky can attest to this.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that keeping your rain gutters clean would help with keeping your basement waterproof. I have had my rain gutters overflow but never had a problem with them flooding my basement. I would hate to have my basement flood because I didn't properly maintain my gutters. http://www.sohanandsons.com/basement-water-proofing